This chokladkaka (chocolate cake) is absolutely to die for! It’s incredible with just the right amount of vaniljsocker (vanilla sugar) to make it interesting. Chokladkaka is a Swedish classic and is a common treat for fika.
I baked this one in particular for my godmother’s birthday. Since she loves chocolate, this was definitely the right choice! It has a light and airy chocolate flavor and will be a sure hit with any true chocoholics.
Check out the pictures and recipe below, which was inspired by Rosendals Trädgårdscafé. It’s one of the best cafés in Stockholm and even has its own greenhouse!
Chokladkaka med Chokladsås
This cake has a really light and airy chocolate flavor with a touch of vanilla. The chocolate sauce ensures that it doesn't get too dry. Try it with some vaniljsås (vanilla sauce) or a dollop of whipped cream.
For the cake:
- 1 stick of butter
- 150 mL milk
- 2 eggs
- 300 mL sugar
- 300 mL flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder + extra for coating pan
- 1 tbsp. vaniljsocker (vanilla sugar)
For the sauce
- ½ stick of butter
- 100 mL milk
- 1 ½ tsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- Any desired toppings
Bake the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 9″ cake pan and dust it with cocoa powder.
- Melt the butter and mix it with the milk. Let the mixture cool until is just lukewarm.
- Beat the egg and the sugar together until light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, vaniljsocker (vanilla sugar), and cocoa powder.
- When egg-sugar mixture is light and fluffy, beat on medium while alternating adding dry ingredients and butter-milk mixture. You want to add just a little of each at a time so the batter maintains the right consistency.
- When properly combined, pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. You want the cake to be just slightly gooey/sticky, otherwise the end result will be too dry.
- Let cake cool almost completely before adding the sauce.
Make the sauce:
- Melt the butter and add it to the milk.
- Mix in the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a separate small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the desired thickness is reached and remove from the stovetop.
- Spread the sauce over the cake after it has cooled.
- Sprinkle any topping of choice over the cake. I had some coconut and Trader Joe’s meringues on hand, so that’s what I used this time.
- Serve & enjoy!