A year or so back, a friend of ours invited us over for dinner and made delicious roasted carrots and parsnips with a pomegranate molasses glaze. Since then, we’ve been obsessed with pomegranate molasses and trying to find different ways to use it. A traditional Swedish limpa is a rye loaf subtly flavored with anise and scented with orange. A sirapslimpa goes a step further with the addition of a sweet syrup, such as ljussirap (light syrup), making it the perfect vehicle for the tangy sweetness of pomegranate molasses.
Swapping pomegranate molasses for the regular molasses or ljusirap (a rough equivalent is golden syrup) in a sirapslimpa is so simple and easy. The result is better than you can imagine! This limpa is perfect for snacking or breakfast since it has tons of flavor all on its own, but using pomegranate molasses really takes it to the next level. We’ve left out the orange and anise to let the pomegranate and rye flavors really shine.
Let us know what you think in the comments!
A tangy and flavorful version of the traditional Swedish sirapslimpa.
- 25g (½ pkt) fresh yeast OR 7g instant yeast
- 2.5 dl (1 cup) warm water
- 350g bread flour
- 100g finely ground rye flour
- 100g pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 25g softened butter
- Dissolve the yeast in the water. If using instant yeast, toss it in with the flours.
- Whisk the pomegranate molasses into the water. In a separate bowl, sift together bread flour, rye flour, and salt.
- Using a dough hook, mix all ingredients together on a low speed for 5 minutes and increase the speed to medium for 3 additional minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a circular shape and place back in the bowl. Let rise in the oven with the lamp on for 30 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and form it into a limpa shape–a rectangular, rounded loaf. Alternatively, place in a long loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the oven with the light on for an hour.
- Take out the risen dough and brush with water. Preheat the oven to 250°C (475°F).
- When the oven has preheated, lower the temperature to 200°C (400°F) and bake for 25 min, or until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 96°C (200°F).
- Upon removing the bread from the oven, immediately brush with milk to give it a soft and appealing finish.